Sewing Machine Cover – Finished

I’ve completed my first ever sewing project from the Liberty Book of Simple Sewing PLUS my first ever sewing project which was a) from a pattern b) had curves and c) involved machine embroidery.

Here’s how it looks in the book…

P1120614

And here’s my version…

IMG_0909

Not too shabby!

I’m pretty pleased with how it’s turned out. I particularly like the chain stitch thread going from the bobbin down to the needle. (Hand stitching is much more in my comfort zone!).  The machine embroidery is a bit sketchy…

I used the fabric from the Hilary’s UK blogger competition and had every intention of entering it but missed the deadline due to my current hectic schedule of full time work, part time blogging, wife, mummy and training for the Bristol 10k which is in 6 weeks time. Eeek!

I also missed a slightly more important deadline of Mothers Day as this was for my mum. Sorry Mum!

I made a few adjustments to the pattern given in the book – I didn’t sew pockets onto the sides – this was a bit too complicated for a beginner like me. I also didn’t put the little handle onto the sewing machine wheel – the iron on adhesive and I had a bit of a falling out…

But aside from that, a quick review of the pattern. All in all, it was fairly easy to follow but relied on the reader having some sewing and pattern reading knowledge. I think a few more step by step pictures would have really helped me to navigate the instructions, which were also quite brief. Adding the boarder was tricky with hardly any instructions, I kind of had to ‘feel’ my way and hope for the best.

Equally, adding the side panels was a bit of a brain drain. Maybe it’s just me but I just couldn’t work out how to make the curve fit into a straight line and there was a lot of trial and error to get that bit right. A picture which showed exactly how to add the panels, how to pin to avoid puckering etc would have been helpful. I’m sure I only managed it because I’ve been avidly watching BBC2’s The Great British Sewing Bee, and I’ve got May in my head talking about easing in sleeves and avoiding puckers.

Anyway, it’s done and I’m tempted to make myself a cover now too so it can’t have been that bad! Here are some photos of the cover in detail.

IMG_0905 IMG_0906 IMG_0907 IMG_0910 IMG_0911

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “Sewing Machine Cover – Finished

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s